Thursday July 26th was day one of our strike. Over 350 CUPE 391 members appeared on picket duty at the Central branch.
• We anticipate that picketing will continue at Central on Friday July 27th from 7am until 6pm. Picketing will take place in the morning and the afternoon. When you arrive at Central remember to sign in at the registration table near the staff entrance.
• Picketing shifts are four hours in length (as defined by CUPE). CUPE 391 is choosing to allow our members to do up to two four shifts on one day – in other words, 8 hours per day.
• You are eligible to receive strike pay based on how many picketing hours you take part in within a seven day period.
Length of Picket
• We anticipate that picketing will continue until a new contract has been ratified.
• There are two picketing zones at Central:
– From the public entrance at Georgia and Homer to the public entrance at Robson and Homer
– Between the parkade to the shipping dock on Hamilton Street
• While you are in a picketing zone wear your picket sign facing out; however, when you are not in the picketing zone please flip your sign to the blank side. It is not our intention to disrupt the businesses/workplaces in Library Square or the Federal Tower.
• At this time, we will be picketing at Central branch. If the strike continues into next week locations may expand to include other branches. Details of further locations will be expanded on in subsequent updates.
• Any questions from the media should be directed to our Union President, Alex Youngberg (604-908-6095), our Bargaining Chair, Ed Dickson (778-840-0207), or Marya Gadison, bargaining committee member (778-840-0049).
• We will be setting up our strike headquarters on Friday July 27th. CUPE 391 membership will be advised of hours and procedures in a subsequent job action update.
As always the most up-to-date job action and bargaining information can be found on the CUPE 391 Bargaining Blog.