Day 1 – What do I do?
- Proceed to your worksite at your scheduled time.
- If pickets are present, seek out the Picket Captain and ask the nature of the picket.
- Call the 391 union office at 604-322-4879 and share the information given by the Picket Captain.
- If pickets go up at your worksite after you have arrived at work, honour the picket line by leaving the worksite.
- Your union contact, through the Job Action Committee, will notify you by phone or by e-mail of any changes to the above steps.
- CUPE 391 may call members to a Study Session
- Study Sessions are forms of job action where information is shared at worksites.
- During the first days of job action, the picket location for our local will be the Central Library.
- Upon instruction from the Job Action Committee, branch staff should come to Central Library to get the latest information, and to join in picket duties.
- Central Library is located at 350 West Georgia
- Picket locations will expand to other library should the labour situation not be resolved.
- A shift is four hours in length.
- CUPE 391 members can do multiple shifts on the same day with approval of the local’s registrar.
- The registrar will work with members to assign shifts.
- Times of shifts will be determined.
- Complete details on Strike Pay are found on the info sheet: CUPE 391 Strike Pay Information (see local’s website under Bargaining Resources)
- Strike pay is distributed based on each 4 hour shift to a maximum of $250 per week (Five shifts of four hours within seven days is required to receive the full entitlement)
- Members need to sign in with the registrar at the picket location.
- Members will also need to sign in at the Strike Head Quarters once per week.
- At Strike Head Quarters, members will need to fill in the following forms:
- Strike Pay Application – to be qualified to get pay
- Strike Duty Report and Cheque Distribution – to get your strike pay cheque
The following are the primary duties that the membership can participate in:
- Picket duty – being on the front line with picket signs
- Picket Captain – overseeing the picket lines
- Registration – being at the front line, making all members have signed in
- Office Support / CUPE 391 Office – answering phones, providing clerical support
- Transportation – moving members to various picket locations
- Refreshment – organizing food and drink to be delivered to the picket lines
- Carnegie – to be determined
- Finances – working with Secretary-Treasurer and Trustees at the Strike Headquarters
- Stand by – doing short term duties in a timely manner
Note: when assigning picket duty, Picket Captains will take into account mobility issues, child care needs and relevant details.